Vic Damone Forum Index Vic Damone
Official Vic Damone Website: Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"KISMET"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma Pressimone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: "KISMET" Reply with quote

One of MGM's most beautiful & spectacular musical films is the lovely KISMET with Howard Keel, Ann Blyth, Delores Gray and, of course, Vic Damone as the handsome Caliph who courts the enchanting poet's daughter ( Ann Blyth ).

This movie really ought to be shown more on cable TV. But it seems these days, the new American TV is anti-musical. The musical numbers are enscribed in our memories: "Stranger in Paradise", "This is My Beloved", "Ninevah", "Baubles, Bangles, and Beads" & Vic's "Night of My Nights".

I must admit I did not see this in the theaters (c. 1955), but this film is one of our prized collections on DVD.

Thanks Vic for being a part of the MGM team - I loved you in KISMET !
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this the film Vic disliked making?
All the re-takes and waiting between takes.
Norma Pressimone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: KISMET Reply with quote

Oh yes, Mark - - - something about Director Vincent Minelli giving Mr. "D" a rough time. But somewhere along the line I remember reading that it was Vic who was displeased with his acting performance. Silly him - he should be aware of some of the singer-actors on the movie circuit now Exclamation

- - - thought Mr. Damone was superb! He fit the part and partnered with Ms. Ann Blyth perfectly. Oh that music and costumes Exclamation

(And if I'm not mistaken this is Perry Damone's favorite film of his dad as well)
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Stanley Donen take over when Vincent left to start work on another film?
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Could be the KISMET film is on DVD in The States-(possibly not released in Australia)
Cammie

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone, I'm new here.

Is it true Vic wasn't pleased with his acting in this movie? That's incredible!

I don't know what to say. I honestly feel his performance and Ann's were the best of the whole cast.

The songs Stranger in Paradise and Night of My Nights are so beautiful.

KISMET to me, is the most romantic film ever made.
(well- of all the films I have ever seen or heard of-it is the most romantic).

I say that focusing solely on Vic and Ann's parts.
It is my favorite musical.

I do confess, though, I fast-forward through most of the other songs...
and find the other parts of the movie ...not quite on the same level.

Thanks to all who have a part in this website
It is really nice.

Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name on earth given among men whereby WE MUST BE SAVED.
Norma Pressimone

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cammie!

It's great to hear some opinions on Vic's acting career. I agree totally - Mr. Damone and Ms Blyth (anybody know of her website , btw? ) I try to get all of his movies. You know, not many youngin's realize Vic made a few more films than say - Robert Goulet or Perry Como or even the great Tony Bennett - and I'm including many TV guest spots he appeared in.

I also enjoy him immensely- especially when he adds a tune or two to his performance ( like in the Dick Van Dyke Show "Like a Sister"...The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' always has me singing along ).

Hope to hear more from ya !
Wendy-Baby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norma Pressimone wrote:

It's great to hear some opinions on Vic's acting career. I agree totally - Mr. Damone and Ms Blyth (anybody know of her website , btw? )

The domain for Ms Blyth's website expired recently, and has not been renewed.

Interesting: she and Vic are only just two months apart in age! Her birthday is 16th August, 1928, while Vic's is, of course, 12th June of that same year.

Thinking of Ann Blyth reminds me of her great film, The Student Prince. Mario Lanza was slated to appear in the title role, but, due to personal and health problems, he was unable to do so. He did the singing, but it was Edmund Purdom who appeared onscreen.

However, I think MGM missed the boat entirely on that role -- it should have gone to VIC!!! He had the combination of voice and looks. Just imagine how fabulous he would have been in it!
Norma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Wendy!

Thanks for letting me know 'bout Blyth's website. As I wrote I wasn't aware she once had one. I, like you, love the screen pairing of Blyth and Damone (Kismet, did it for me) - so I don't blame you a bit in wishing it had been Vic in STUDENT PRINCE. But since the picture was made in '54, I believe Vic might have had other committments like ATHENA, or HIT THE DECK going for him. So even if approached, couldn't have made it.

But I agree!.....the part of STUDENT PRINCE would have been a made-to-order for him! Very Happy
VicL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Some more info about "Kismet" music Reply with quote

Dear Friends of Vic,

You may be interested in some more information about the music of "Kismet". Please see in the topic I started in the Fan Discussion Area.

Best wishes,

VicL (Vic in London)
26th March 2007.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vic Damone Forum Index -> Filmography All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum