Vic Damone Forum Index Vic Damone
Official Vic Damone Website: Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"ATHENA"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma Pressimone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: "ATHENA" Reply with quote

[A personal review given once before - but thought I'd include again....]

What do "peachtrees", sassafras, numerolgy, astrology charts, and backstrap molasses have to do with a good old fashioned boy-meets-unusual-girl story plot ?

I dunno.......all I know is while watching this delectable tale of health foods and body building ....I found myself enjoying a nice cup of green tea. Sipping it to the reviberating voice of Vic Damone, I was totally captivated by his "The Girl Next Door" which surprizingly starts off this film in a good direction.

In this 1954 musical-comedy Vic, playing "Johnny Nyle" the swooned-over new singing sensation, confirms his appeal to all of us ! In the story, Vic's subpeona, taken to lawyer friend ( Edmund Purdom ), actually starts the ball rolling right into a housefull of health conscious addicts ( Debbie Reynolds, Jane Powell ) who try to transform the fellows into a bit of the same. But a good Judo twist on herculian "Mr. Universe" by none other then Damone wins over Reynold's heart ! Well...you've got to see the movie. There are some fun renditions with some great choreography in "I Never Felt Better". Also a beautiful operatic aria by Jane, "Daughter of the Regiment".

But once you see and hear the music by Ralph Blane & Hugh Martin brought to life by Vic singing [i]"Venezia", [/i]with his deep rounded tones in his dashing crimson tuxedo surrounded by stunning costumed mardi-gras dancers, you'll understand why I tend to play "ATHENA" over and over again. It is definitely the "Queen" of all the tunes in this musical. ....scenery and nice close-ups of Vic!

Vic Damone makes the music of Blane & Martin whisper soft & convincing with finalizing a surprizingly underestimated tune "Love Can
Change the Stars"
( YOU SHOULD SING THAT SONG AGAIN, Vic, in your own new style ). I loved YOU singing it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vic Damone Forum Index -> Filmography All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum